Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The Social Media Monster

Hi guys! I am a hypocrite.

I am writing this to (mostly) complain about social media. Then, I will post it ... on social media.

It's pretty self-evident that as a service provider, social media is quite the mixed blessing for my practice. I am certain that the same can be said by any person or business in the public eye. When people share their great experiences at our practice (or we share something positive about our practice), it's really gratifying to know that we did well. It's even better to think that someone who might be looking for a veterinarian could see that post and seek us out.

I also enjoy the opportunity that social media gives us to share our celebrations (Dr. Gammon had her baby!), accomplishments (congrats to Dr. Randla on completing his "Cat-Friendly" certification), and helpful information (here's what you need to know about Canine Flu). It is also a great place to recognize special organizations and promote their needs (Partners 4 Pets needs help paying for "Arrow's" surgery), and highlight our patients ("Peanut" turned 20 today!)

But of course social media is a fickle friend. If someone is not happy with their experience here, they have a public platform on which to share how rude/incompetent/greedy etc... they perceive us to be. Fortunately, that doesn't happen often, but when it does, it is obviously very hurtful to all of us.

I will be the first to admit that we don't always get it right. Like everyone else, we sometimes make a mistake. I have always felt that the best way to judge any business is their willingness to "make right" their mistakes. We take a great deal of pride in our willingness to do that. But I admit that I miss the "old days" when people who were unhappy would call or come in to the office with their complaint. These grievances were (and still are) taken very seriously, and usually rectified, to the best of our ability, by myself or our Practice Manager.

You see, most complaints we get originate from some misunderstanding. We preach and teach communication skills to all our staff because of this. If we get a chance to hear why the client is unhappy, we can often correct the misunderstanding, apologize for our part in it, and make it right. This process cannot happen on social media. Not even close. And of course, now all of that person's "followers" have heard only one side of the story. Ugh.

As a greybeard, I have had many veterinarian friends complain to me about the social media "monster." I usually tell them that we all have to take the bad with the good. But I do wonder why, if someone truly wants a solution to some problem that we have caused, they don't pick up the phone and give me a call?

5 comments:

  1. Perhaps they are afraid of confrontations or perhaps they would be embarassed by finding out they were in the wrong.
    It would be best if they would confront the situation to resolve the issue.
    Unfortunately they do not know the ratifications of what they have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you and your staff go above and beyond in the communications department. I have always been kept up to date on anything my pups have ever gone through as well as very comfortable letting you in on what's happening with me and how we can work together to get the best treatment when called for. My pups are my life and you are my best asset in caring for them. To those who have trouble communicating with these folks, take a breath and give them a call-they will help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete